Your wedding day is all about one thing, you and the emotional and spiritual connection with your man. There is nothing sadder than a bride on her iphone so frazzled by things going wrong that she can’t be truly present on this unrepeatable day. Even worse, a wedding that becomes a disaster zone simply because she thought she could save money by doing everything herself.
Planning your wedding on your own or by calling on help from family and friends is the biggest cost saving mistake you can make. In fact, in many cases you will end up paying more because vendors see you coming. You know the old cliché, as soon as you mention the word wedding, everyone sees dollar signs.
- Use a wedding planner, they get the best rates...but check that they don't mark up the prices then cut them back a little so you’ll think they’re really looking after you.
- Avoid solo operators who may have only put out their shingle in the last 6 months. Make sure the planner you work with has a full time back up planner and request some recent testimonials, undoctored if possible.
- If getting married overseas, check their level of English. So much gets lost in translation. For example, the bride who had ordered pink roses but was shocked on the day to find the flowers that turned up were bright yellow. “No problem” said the organizer who simply pulled out a can of paint and sprayed them pink!
- Choose a planner who specialises in weddings but who isn’t based within a hotel or resort. The job of an in-house planner is to really fill hotel rooms so they won’t be as proactive or unbiased as an independent planner.
Ask questions. The more questions you ask, the more money you’ll save. And the better organised you’ll feel as well.
Here are some great ones for starters:
- How long have you been in business?
- Will you quote me everything up front and stick to that quote?
- What is the ongoing planning schedule: how often will you contact me.
- Will it be by phone/email/skype?
- How do you get paid: commission/fee?
- How are payments processed (be aware that multiple bank transfers to overseas accounts can really add up.)
- What systems do you have in place to ensure everything runs smoothly?
- What sort of database do you keep, how will you be recording the details of my wedding?
To find out how you can have a seamlessly run, stress-free destination wedding that your friends and family will be raving about for years to come, contact Botanica Weddings